A checking account is an essential part of managing your finances and adulting. It’s useful for paying bills, depositing checks and keeping track of your money. Checking accounts come with a debit card for convenience, so there’s no need to carry a checkbook. You can also use mobile banking to deposit checks remotely and manage your account balance on the go.
Taking on the responsibility that comes with a checking account is part of growing up and proving that you can make wise financial choices. But how do you know if you’re ready to manage your own account? To start, you need:
- A source of income (for example, a job). You need to be able to deposit money regularly into the account in order to have money to spend and save.
- Your parents’ permission. Your parents must agree that you’re ready to handle a checking account. If they say no, respectfully accept the decision. Show them that you can save money and spend within your budget consistently, and they may reconsider.
- Responsible spending habits. A checking account doesn’t give you the freedom to spend money however you want. If you make smart choices about money — like spending on a budget and saving for future expenses — you may be ready for a checking account.
- Commitment to tracking your account balance. Spending more money than the amount in your account can be an expensive mistake. It’s important to keep track of your transactions so you know your balance before making a purchase.
Managed right, a checking account can be a great way to keep track of your money and set a budget for saving and spending. When you’re ready, check out a Dinero Teens checking account at Advancial to learn more.
Dinero Teens checking account
Our teen checking program helps you gain experience in managing your money responsibly. Account features include:
- No monthly service fees
- Unlimited check writing
- Debit card rewards
- cuAnywhere® online and mobile banking
- Free debit/ATM card
- Unlimited free ATMs
- Automatic reimbursement on other banks’ ATM fees
to learn more about opening your first checking account at Advancial.